Friday, November 07, 2008

Frustration STATION!

**FYI**

This post is completely pregnancy related, so if any of it's content bothers you, please stop reading :)





BLAH!

.

That is exactly how I feel right now. Wednesday afternoon I had what was to be my last OB appointment. My doctor told me everything was looking great, and that he would be suprised if I made it through the weekend. To back up his ever-so sure prediction, he gave me one hefty membrane stripping (I warned you) and sent me packing. Well, fast forward to late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning and whatever voodoo good ole' Dr.OB did to me seemed to have worked it's magic. I was in full out labor mode... My contractions were coming on strong, every 2-3 minutes and they REALLY hurt. After about 2 hours of no sleep (due to my not so great method of breathing through the pain.... I want to know who remembers these things?) Dustin thought we should head to the hospital. He didn't need to ask twice.. I am not cut out for labor pain.

So we loaded all our gear and a very tired Minie into the freezing car and drove to the hospital. Once we got there Steve and Alice rescued Minie, and Dustin and I headed up to L&D. At this point I was far from okay with the contractions I was experiencing, and by the time I was taken to a room and checked in I was already bordering insanity. They hooked my up to the monitors, agreed that I was having some decent contractions and said it was just a waiting game... if the contractions were changing my cervix at all, I would stay.. if not I was getting the boot.

**SIGH**

You can guess what went on from there. For over 2 hours I sat, rocked, and walked through terrible contractions. I know it sounds dramatic, but they were intense... and all in my back. But of course, they were doing NOTHING! My nurse wasn't very sympathetic, and couldn't wait to get me out the door. All she could offer me was a shot of morphine in the hip for pain, and a not very inviting invitation back to Labor & Delivery when I was in "real" labor. OHHH... And when I told her invite or not I would be back there soon, I had a scheduled induction set for Monday, she had the nerve to say, "Yeah, well good luck... You and about 50 other women. It doesn't seem likely".
.
Yes...
.
I hate that woman.

.
So here I am back at the ranch, insanely miserable. My contractions did infact die down, but what else do we expect with a massive shot of morphine??? I am getting them just enough to be tediously uncomfortable, and I have just about had it with this whole pregnancy business. Sere.... It just ain't pretty in the end. At this point a bullet in the leg seems more pleasant, and definately a lot quicker. To top things off, my sweet-heart nurse did inform me that she was pretty sure sister-bear here is posterior, and OP babies (as they like to refer to them as) take twice as long.. thatlabor can go on for days. AWESOME... days.
.
.
So let's give one big HOORAH! for me.
.
:(

10 comments:

Pam said...

Monday for sure or we storm the hospital and take that nasty nurse hostage! Not to mention the fact that we have some out of town guests that are counting on her arrival on 11/10/08. I predict you won't make it until then...but what do I know??
I feel your pain, honey! XOXOXO

Kami Satterlee said...

I am so super sorry my friend. I hate bitchy nurses. However, think of how lucky you are, I am so jealous about having another one that I wish I were in labor! Good Luck and keep us updated!!!!

Leslie said...

Hopefully that sweetie nurse isn't there when you go back "for real." You wouldn't have wanted her for your L&D nurse anyway ;).

Also, I'm no expert, but Ben was OP and it took little more than breaking my water to get him here. And my epi was heavenly--never felt a thing (at least during the delivery). Hope she turns though.

Vanessa said...

Oh, I truly feel for you, I know those labor pains very well and absolutely hate then, I don’t know how someone can possible go natural, I hope you have this baby soon, I’m excited to meet her. By the way, who was this terrible nurse, because I had one that I really hated too, she was so rude, and the stupid women poked me twice on each arm to put the IV one while I was having contractions, I asked her to wait unto my contractions was over, but she said NO!!! I hope you don’t have the same nurses I had, they where mean…

Valerie said...

Seriously! We need some better nurses out there. At least she didn't ask you if you were a "slasher". I hope you're delivering her right now! I can't wait to meet her!

Darcie said...

Which nurse?! When I delivered Caroline at Alta View (that's where you're delivering, right?), there was one nurse that I just didn't like (well, couldn't stand)... betcha it was her.

So sorry. Labor pains are truly horrible. The only thing worse is labor pains and no baby to show for it. :(

Anonymous said...

To turn a posterior baby, try the cat and cow yoga postition and squatting on a birth ball with your legs spread way apart, if you have one. Also, 1 tbsp of castor oil mixed with 8 oz of orange juice should help getting the contractions to stay. But don't overdo it, or you'll be pretty miserable.

Laura Stringham said...

Oh, it's all to familiar, I totally feel your pain (no pun intended) but seriously, how come us women manage to forget exactly how miserable labor is? One would think you'd remember something like that very clearly.

Hang in there, just one more day now. You can make it. 7 weeks ago, I was at home, miserable, bitter, ornery and desperate to go into labor. I'm SO glad that's over and I'll be so happy when your little girl is finally here.

Anonymous said...

FYI, you can request the head nurse to come to your room and tell him/her that you do not, will not have her as your nurse. I know, it sounds a little cruel but do it! I did and was SO glad. I wish you the best and I can't wait to see the little darling! Aren't we glad we're not elephants with a two year gestation?!?!?

katie and beej said...

Brooke,
Congratulations on the baby, your mom told me about her, she looks beautiful! I hope you don't mind that I found your blog, it's so fun to see all your beautiful pictures! Good luck with your new angel:)