Sunday, April 27, 2008

Feeling the need to...

to go GREEN







so pretty much i feel i am being bombarded from every angle about the awarness of my"un-greeness" in life. every parent magazine that bi-monthly arrives at my house is nagging about it, the pediatrician gives us subtle hints and tips on greenovating our lives, and now.. maybe the final straw, would be my TV network. i guess you could say i strictly watch TLC and Discovery Health. what can i say? i'm a sucker for those darn baby shows. lately they have been pushing this whole green planet bit, and to be honest i really have just scuffed at all of the new shows and pracitcally vowed to never watch them.
until last night.
there is a new series call wa$ted and essentially is the what not to wear for the average american and their greeness factor (mostly their lack there of). i begrudignly watched it last night with nothing else on. however, by the end of the eopisode i was at my computer surfing through various cloth diapering sites, our city's recycling facilites, and fervently looking for a more "green friendly" car for mins and i to buzz around in.
a little over board?? probably. i just can't deny it anymore. the jackson family is NOT enviornmentaly friendly. our garbage can is a mess off all types of recyclables, and you would NOT (or probably would) believe the amount of diapers we empty to our dump every week. do you know that it takes anywhere from 200-500 years for one disposable diaper to decompose?? ONE DIAPER!!

in this slight brain-washingesque episode last night, they pushed the family to really try cloth diapering their 2 year old. after some griping they gave it a go, and lo and behold by the end of the show, the family was converted.

could i do this??

i would think i want to, but all i can see is my own mom's horror stories come to life... nasty cloth diapers soaking in amonia, carting around a soggy poop diaper in my diaper bag... or even worse... my own memories of working at that orphanage in guatemala, carrying around the child's weight in cloth diaper nastiness, making any and all clothes unwearable.

BUT

.

apparently there is a whole new world to the cloth diaper.

besides the money saving perks, they are also smaller, snugger, obviously eco-friendly, and excuse me... C U T E R. no doubt they are more work.. but have i really become that lazy??? and really, by the time i change minie's diaper, run it down stairs and out to the pail, i really wonder how much easier it is??


not only are disposable diapers practically indestructable, but as the process of decomposing runs it's course, toxic chemical are emitted, and all that yumminess goes straight to our air. i suppose i have always known this... but not really cared, or thought i could make any difference. i just feel like i can't deny it anymore...

what do you think??

anyone else out there with green guilt???

how can we not have it???

one thing is for sure, i am out first thing for a recycling bin tomorrow.. and i may just order my first pack of cloth diaps. yes.. i may be crazy.

11 comments:

kennan said...

you are crazy..... maybe you should just try early potty training. plus, you thought finding babysitters was hard before? i love mimsie more than anyone and even i would not change a cloth diaper, unless it was disposable! love your guts you crazy woman.

Anonymous said...

My crazy cousin (love her guts) has done clothe diapers with her two girls (and was even crazy enough to made them all herself). As far as the saving money thing goes, it might save you in the very long run, but you first have to buy a million of every size you'll use (especially newborn, for the next one, they go through a TON and then grow out of them fast).

The green hype is hard to ignore, I agree. And while we shouldn't TRY to destroy our beautiful planet, I believe God created this marvelous "being" and there ain't nothin' we can throw at it that it can't handle. It's been through SOOOO much worse in it's life time than it is right now and it's a big boy and can heal and take care of itself. I think it's kind of arrogant of us humans to think we have that much effect on something so completely beyond our comprehension. Not at all talking about you Brooke! Just the "media" that has done such a marvelous job at creating this green frenzy. They're making a pretty penny off of it, so good for them, I guess.

Alright. I'm done. Sorry.

Pam said...

Oh my goodness...you were really taken in by that program, weren't you? If you want to make a real difference, campaign for the diaper companies to come up with an eco-friendly disposable diaper. It can't be THAT hard!!! If the public demands it, they will step up. XOXO

Leslie said...

Hmm. I don't think I'd have it in me to go the cloth diapering route (too many horror stories from my mom), but I might be convinced to do seventh generation diapers or something a little "greener." The cloth diapers do score points for upping the cuteness factor though.

Laura Stringham said...

Oh no, they've gotten to you. I work very hard to ignore the green hype, but I have to admit that I respect people that give it a shot. More power to you, let us all know how it goes (because I will not be joining you.)

Anonymous said...

oh yes, you are crazy! But, I guess that someone needs to lighten up their carbon footprint. And I must admit that the cloth diapers are pretty dang stylin'!

Kami Satterlee said...

Friend, I know i HATE when people are private on their blogs, but there is this CREEPY guy that owns the Boise Burn and he has been OBSESSED with me and he found my blog and I just don't want to picture him with Malia and I and his hand down his pants;)ok graphic but Seriously! Oh by the way, crazy story call me

georgeandmarie said...

Wow...go you if you actually go through with the cloth diapers!! Let us all know how it goes! I have the green guilt at times...but it just goes away once I realize somethings are just too much!! So conserve and go green where you can and dont be too hard on yourself!!

Nate and Paige said...

I am for the green age we too are thinking about trading in our car. Cloth diapers worked for thousands of years and still work. Granted I don't have kids but when I do I plan on trying the cloth diapers. So give it a go so I'll know how to do it

Valerie said...

Hmmm... I'm kinda half there half not. I really wanted to do cloth diapers before I got pregnant with Jack, for the cuteness factor and the money factor. But it turns out I knew I would be too lazy to rinse out the poop in the toilet and do all the laundry.
As for cars, I'm all for a cleaner car. I hate the guys that have the big smelly trucks. It just stinks.
I do have a recycle bin, but only because there is an actual recycle truck that comes to our house. If I had to take it somewhere else to drop it off, I wouldn't do it.
And I do think the reusable shopping bags are a super idea. I throw away so many plastic bags, it's almost annoying. But I never remember to bring my big blue IKEA bag when I go there, I don't think I would remember to bring my own grocery bags. And, I do use the plastic bags to put diapers in when they are really messy. That way they take even longer to decompose! ;)

Valerie said...

I have another comment about one of your previous comments. Just because the earth has been through so much worse and has been able to heal and take care of itself, doesn't mean we should just throw whatever we want at it and expect it to handle it. Yes, God created this beautiful planet, and don't you think he would appreciate it if we did try to have as much of a positive effect on it as we could? We may not be able to completely change the world, but if we did try a little harder we could have a very positive effect on things. The world is bad enough already. I'd like it to be as clean and healthy as possible for my kids. I don't think it's arrogant to think we can have a positive effect on our planet. If I'm ever lucky enough to create my own planet, I would much rather have people be crazy about trying to make it cleaner than have them just do whatever they please and expect me to take care of it.
From now on I will definitely try a little harder to not waste so much, and if I can ever get pregnant again, maybe I will give the cloth diapers a try with you Brooke! They are dang cute!
Oh, one more thing. You can always do cloth diapers, but keep a small package of disposable one's on hand for babysitters or long outings if you don't want to carry a stinky one around in your bag.