Sunday, January 10, 2010

nigh night


where have i been?
feeling exhausted..somewhere other than this computer.


why did i think switching minie to a big girl bed was a good idea?
i had two perfectly perfect cribs, snug and reliable bed times, two babies that slept gloriously through the night, a luxurious pillow top king size bed just nice and cozy for me and my man, and a life that felt i was infact in charge of.

and then..
one silly decision on a random night of changing her crib sheets we thought the new change would be fun.
the excited leap of transferring our first born to her first real bed seemed just right.
and yet...
it all come crashing down.
my all of the sudden perfect sleeper was terror on wheels. she was like a jack in the box.. i lay her down, only to have her pop right back up, crying and pleading for me to stay with her. we tried locking her back in to the crib thinking we could just erase our silly little move.. but to no avail.. her new found independence had taught her Houdini like magic of escaping. the bars served no purpose other than the extreme discomfort of trying to hold her hand while she fell asleep. as soon as that glorious moment of slumber arrived i would creep out of her room.. only to wake up to her at my bed side mere hours later. eventually exhausted, and defeated after weeks of such behavior she then started just sleeping between me and dustin... and enough said.
you can use you imagination of the downward spiral that continued from there. naps and bedtimes??
i don't even know the meaning.


let me just say..
an exhausted life is no life at all.
everything is muddled, nothing feels in control..
and well.
there are a lot of tears.
a lot,
a lot,
a lot.

and tonight
well, i am nearly sobbing again,
because i finally have caught on to something that might actually be working.

i have tried so much..
locking her in (she screamed, and kicked, and then always puked)
we tried drug inducing sleep (not my proudest moment.. )
we spanked,
we warned,
we did it all..
and we fought a lot because we were both so tired, frustrated, and generally out of control of the entire situation.

and then by chance,
on one of my many desperate internet excursions for a solution,
THIS found it's way to me.
and i love it so dearly.
because it works.
3 nights in, and my minie has been in bed, out cold by 8:30 pm... she is sleeping through the night, and NAPPING again.
and i don't feel like i am torturing, abandoning, or scarring her life.
Dr. Weissbluth's methods feel logical, loving, and educated.
and, did i mention..
THEY ARE WORKING.

i realize this whole hallelujah post may seem a tad premature.. but these past 3 nights have been dream boat lovin.
our bed back to ourselves. a 30 minute bed-time routine vs. the previous near 2 hours it took to settle the girls in.
my happy girl,
and just the over-all sense
that I am in control.

:)

who knows...
tomorrow things may have fallen apart.
i may be crying again, and life could feel doomed
but tonight..
well tonight life feels good.


and after all...
this little bed head smoosh..
well, she's worth it.
always.



13 comments:

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

Umm... I may be making a stop at the library tomorrow. Dmitri is a good sleeper - about 75% of the time. But the other percent is just awful and I'd rather him not cry himself to sleep. Plus he can climb waist high is his crib and lean over the edge. Climbing out - it's only a matter of time....
By yay for Minie! And for you! Sharing a bed with a toddler is never fun.
{and I'm lovin' her bedding!}

Bethany said...

Awww...I KNOW how rough this can be!! My own sweet girl (she is 3 1/2) still goes through phases where putting her to bed is AWFUL. She doesn't want to be there, cries and carries on...it's rough. And even now our kids (the other is 5) find their way to our bed on a fairly regular basis during the night...one is there now. And while I certainly understand not wanting them there permanently, it is kinda nice to enjoy the snuggles because before too long, they won't want anything to do with us!

Pam said...

Congratulations, Brooke and Minie!!! When in doubt....look for the instruction manual. And it sounds like you found it! Way to go. The Jackson's will be a much happier clan. XOXO

Stephanie said...

Oh Brooke,

We are in the exact same boat with my little girl and it's been going on now for about 3 months- maybe longer! I am losing my mind and we have tried everything we could think of. She does not nap at all and so I always think she should be exhausted when 8:00 rolls around. NO! Do you mind sharing what is working for you?

Laura Stringham said...

My friend let me borrow her copy of that book for charlie. he was a rotten night sleeper when he started to let go of nursing and has always been a rotten napper. After reading that book, he's my best sleeper of the bunch. hooray for both of us!

Alice said...

Love the post and love the pictures. Here's to hoping it continues!

tiff and chris johnson said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK! Someone suggested it to me when I had ellie and I was a little timid at first to let my 3 1/2 month old child cry herself to sleep. Trust me, i've had my fair share of unproud moments. But three nights does the trick! She's been a solid sleeper since and i'm a happy camper! Love love LOVE that book. Saving grace.

B-Will said...

Well if I only new, I would have told you sooner, it was a really easy transition for Gabi and us because we followed those steps first day. However I don't want to spoil the moment but just wait about a year until she keeps getting out with excuses to go to the bathroom, that she is hungry, thirst, scared etc...

Unknown said...

Alright...I am off to get that book!!!! I cry all night long because I am so frusterated with getting up 12 times a night! I am BEYOND exhausted! thanks hun!

Laura Muir said...

I am so glad that you found something to help the situation! That is so scary. I hope Elena doesnt do that to me too.... I am sure she will though.
P.S. Where did you get Minie's bedding? I love the little flower pillow in the pic in the top!
-Laura

Lucky to be the mom said...

Oh how well I remember those days. Exhaustion takes on a whole new meaning. Hang in there!
I swear that's why they come so stinking cute! and their resilient to our desperation.
Lovies,
Denise

Pam said...

Time for an update.....

Wade and Cami White said...

I'm so glad every thing is working. I may need to borrow that book or get it for my self. The BIG change is coming from crib to "big boy bed", I'm terrified, and the whole nap thing you know how i like and need my naps. Yeah Minie! Congrats mommie!