Wednesday, April 01, 2009

the joke is on you...

seriously.
i am so done with drama in my life. 
2009 has brought nothing but a can full o' worms , and i am DONE with it.

i just want one measly month to go by without some life-changing event occurring. i realize me writing this is in-fact highly dramatic itself, but what can one expect?? sometimes i sink instead of rise.... it's just that.

*sigh*
 the sun will come out tomorrow... right??

so in light of this not so uplifting start let me tell you about today...

today our poopster gave us quite a scare. she has had the pukes for a couple of days now but has remained moderately manageable. however, this morning she woke up from her morning nap fussy and wouldn't be consoled. she started puking horror film style while i held her over the garbage can. she was obviously extremely uncomfortable, and i just held her close trying to comfort her. over a period of 30 minutes she threw up 10 times, went grayish/greenish/whitish in color, and was extremely lethargic. i semi-freaked out, and immediately called the triage nurse of our pediatrician. as soon as i explained Poppy's symptoms the nurse told me to hang up and get to a hospital immediately. i then MAJORLY freaked out. luckily my mom was in the area and was able to get Minie while we rushed to the ER. pop's puked two more times on the way to the hospital, and in my eyes was limp as a noodle by the time we arrived. upon arriving to the hospital i gave a demanding request that "we be seen immediately, my daughter may or may nor be dying!" and the nurses got us right back to a room. and just for the record Primary Children's Hospital really does rock.
 
OF COURSE, by the time we were checked in and back to a room Poppy starting perking up. the doctor on call looked at me like a paranoid mother, and simply told me to try and nurse her. i explained to her that i had been trying all morning, and that she just threw up every time i did.. she told me "to just give it a try", and that if she wouldn't do it they would place an IV. Poppy responded with a coo and a smile, and the doctor left with this annoying all-knowing look in her eye.
 blah. 
you can guess the rest. miraculously Poppy nursed like a champ, and literally was like a brand new girl afterwards. she cooed, laughed, a bobbed her toy around as if she were at the play date of the century.. and me... well, i just felt stupid. after a couple hours of observation and kick time for pops, we were discharged with a diagnosis of "nausea and vomitting".  and i am sure those doctors worked hard for such a diagnosis... heavens knows i needed emergency care to come to that conclusion!
but for real.. what else could they do? she was acting nothing like she was before, and with no sign of any distress with the exception of my own, they had to send us packing. and i TRULY am grateful she didn't need the care. but come on?!?! she couldn't even give them a little sickness act? not even to make me look semi-sane??? i just feel a little sheepish. We payed the top dolla ER copay just so I could nurse my infant. i'm tellin' you..

 anyway... 


april fools mom and dad!
love,
POPPY

i'm so ready for a new season.


10 comments:

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

I am so sorry and all I can say is that I have totally been there with the sick child seeming to be dying and then perking up....hate it. I have also had a not so fatastic year....so I hear you there too. I am so sorry about Dustins job and I know he is a hard worker and will find work soon. Hang in there, we love you guys.

Pam said...

Little Popster...if she weren't so gorgeous, we might take offense. But as witness to the puking, I think you did the right thing. Just grateful she didn't need to be admitted! And I got a nice little visit with Minie-moo. XOXO

Unknown said...

We have all been there, I PROMISE!:) DOn't feel stupid, you did the right thing! I am glad she is feeling better!

kennan said...

i love being laid off.

kennan said...

p.s.

want to come hang out in our commander?

Nicole said...

Ha Ha. That is quite the april fools joke! Why do they do this to us??? I too have felt like an idiot at the emergency room. I once thought Jake had brain damage from a pretty good fall-- he had a HUGE lump on his head and THEN started walking funny. Turns out his new shoes hurt his feet and he didn't want to hurt my feelings!!! :) Sweet of him, but really... I'm sure the doctors there get a lot of good laughs!

andrea said...

aw...poor pops. You did the right thing...but I totally get it. I get really embarrassed when I make a big scene, tell people my child is dying (or has tourettes or whatever the case may be) only to find out it's nothing too, LOL. No really. I do. Not that it happens all the time or anything.

Laura Stringham said...

I hate it when doctors give you that look and make you feel silly. It's SO hard to know what to do with sick babies. I swear I always do the wrong thing.

Leslie said...

Sorry about the wasted trip. I feel like I always do the wrong thing when it comes to a sick kid. I either take him in and get the "you're crazy" look, or wait and wait and the kid ends up needing surgery. Yeah, my mom instincts are way off.

Pam said...

Hmmmm....I'm thinking an update is in order??? XOXO