Sunday, April 19, 2009

there are worse things


i can't sleep.
that really isn't anything new for me,
but tonight
 it feels new. 

i have been an affiliated photographer with the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep organization for almost a month now. for those of you that aren't familiar with this incredible organization, click on the link. it is amazing. It is something that speaks to me. something that i just get, and believe so much in that the moment i learned of it I KNEW I needed to be a part of it.

 but today was my first ever session..  
and i feel scared, and sad, and lonely, and happy, and proud,and grateful, and peaceful all at once... it's enough to drive my already insistent insomnia up about 10 notches.

so here we are.. 12:41 am

i got the call Friday afternoon. as soon as i heard the woman on the other end say, "My name is S. I am social worker at Primary Children's Hospital..." my heart dropped into my stomach. i was actually being called for my first session. i was over-excited the entire phone call, and repeatedly thanked the social worker. she responded with a semi- confused "No..Thank you?" clearly very amused, as i was the one performing the service. but i don't care. i have been so anxious to do this. it's the work of my own angels... it's something i can do for them.. and i feel it like a burn. something that won't go away. something that scares me, but enraptures me... every day i look at my sweet angel-bebe's framed ultrasound photos and i want to feel them. sometimes i want to miss them like they just left yesterday... but that miss has lessened, and i get caught up in the charm of my red-head 1 year old, and the irresistible sqooshiness of my 5 month old. and They.. They seem like They are from another life.
 so this service i can provide. it makes me closer. it brings them to me again, and i DO need that.
 
but it also brings so much more.

 the 24 hours i had in between the phone call and the actual shoot were excruciating. i haven't felt so nervous in a really long time. i prayed.. i prayed, and prayed. i needed the Lord's help. i needed to say the right things.. and capture the right moments. i just needed Him with me.. so i could be there for a family in such a difficult time. walking up to the hospital my hands were literally shaking. i dropped all of my gear in the parking lot, and clumsily gathered it up (what seemed to be) the entire hike to the NICU. i had read my "Volunteer's Training Manual" from cover to cover, and had memorized the conversation given in said manual to say to the nursing staff and family upon arrival. i did okay when i walked though the doors to the nurses station. i breezed through my lines, and they seemed to have bought my feigned confidence. i was feeling good, and brave.. very brave. and then they showed me to her room. i was still okay. i was even okay when nurse C solemnly whispered to me that "She will still be alive while you are here. The family wants to continue with life support one more day. She is stable.. but over all her health is terminal. But she will be alive. She even gets to wear her blessing dress!" . 
 
and then i saw her

so small... wrapped so tight, with so many (too many) cords. she had the most perfect tiny dark head of hair. she was making this precious gurgling sound that was in-sync with the buzz of the ventilator. 
she was beautiful... is beautiful. 
little miss baby Z. 
  i immediately forgot all my rehearsed conversation, and i saw the family. i saw they were hurt. that they were scared. but that they too were brave. brave for baby Z. and for baby Z's two older siblings, who seemed enchanted yet frightened with their new sister. the room was full of peace. today was a special day, because today baby Z was able to be out of her isolette. she was able to wear her dress.. she was able to be held by the so many people that loved her. and I got to be there too. it felt like an honor. it was a honor. an hour passed quickly as i too fell in love with this tiny miracle. i photographed her from the tip top of her sweet head, clear down to the bottom of her teeny, tiny feet. she got tired, and cold, and was struggling saturating so we had to let her go back to her bed. baby Z's Mama and Dad were so kind. They made ME feel comfortable. I felt the love they had for their family, and the appreciation they had for me. I quietly left sweet baby Z, and her mourning family behind the hospital door. As I left the NICU I couldn't help but look back and realize that I truly would never have the chance to meet sweet baby Z ever again. and although i am crying now, i didn't then. i didn't then.  in that moment all i could feel was gratitude. i felt so honored that I got to be a big part in tiny baby Z's life on earth. how could i ever have felt worried or scared? my mom often says, "There are two times in life when the veil is so thin.. at a birth, and at a death." 
and today i got to experience both. 

the whole experience has brought so many memories to the forefront. 
oh my sweet little angel bebes...
 how bad i wanted them! 
i think of them.. and i do miss them. 
what would they have been? 
what would they smell like? 
and cry like? 
would i be there favorite too?
 so many questions.. so much heartache.. 
and for SO MANY WOMEN. 
   
we are all in this together as mothers. 
the raw hurt, and scary unknown, the losses we have endured, and most likely will continue to endure. that is what this organization is.

 and even though i am still awake with all of these things in my head, 
i am still over excited and anxious for the next time i get called .


*Please check out the NILMDTS web-site. And pass it along.. the sad truth is that these things DO happen... a lot more than is known. 






18 comments:

Pam said...

I'm so very proud of you for your willingness to do this. You continue to amaze me as the person you are unfolds. I love you!! XO

Stephanie said...

Wow! This sounds amazing! Where do I sign up? Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Brooke, it's been just over 14 years since we had our precious daughter that lived only days. Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep was not familiar (or available?) then but two of my dear friends offered that same service to me. I didn't ask. They were concerned that we'd all be so involved with the birth - and death - that someone besides family needed to capture those moments.
I have never been so grateful. I don't know that I would have thought of it. Lane and I'd chosen her dress, chosen her burial plot, her casket...but not her photographer. I cherish the photos. All of them. Some are so private they remain in a box at the top of our closet. Many are framed and hung with the other family photos.
There was a time that the whole experience felt like a dream. I had a postpartum body, breasts with unneeded milk and yet it all felt so surreal. Those photos were proof to me that all of it was real, it did happen, she lived, she's ours forever just not in our arms right now. Brooke, you're an instrument in God's work for those people. Bless you!

andrea said...

you are a true inspiration.

Hayden and Lisa said...

Oh Brooke, I think I've been in love with you since we were 5. You are such a beautiful person, outside and in(where it really matters). This post has really touched me because I want a baby soooooo bad! i want to be a mother! I didn't feel this way until last october and then boom! It just hit me and hasn't gone away since! I feel that extreme urge and slight pain when I see other moms and their babes because I want that and with all the excitement and joy and I can't help but be so nervous and scared! What if I can't get pregnant? What if my baby doesn't make it? What if something goes wrong? I already love my babies so much and they aren't even here yet! I hope they are as anxious to get here as I am for them to be here!!

Devon Hall Photographic Arts said...

Amazing Brooke. Your honesty and courage has given me the inspiration to look further into this. I tend to wonder if I would be able to hold myself together and give strength to the family.......thank you for sharing. Beautiful photo.

Darcie said...

Brooke, NILMDTS took pictures of a sweet stillborn baby in our ward last summer. The family TREASURES those sweet pictures. They are so precious. What a wonderful gift you're giving these families.

Anonymous said...

Oh Brooke. That was so wonderful to read! I guess when I was over on Sunday I didn't get the full gist of just how amazing this is!!! I am so excited for you that you have a talent that lets you do that!!

emmarae said...

what an amazing experience. i think this foundation is amazing..i had no idea!
emily

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thing you are doing, Brooke. God Bless your sweet heart. I love you....Aunt Chrissy

Unknown said...

You did AMAZING... I can tell by your sweet words! Not everyone can handle photographing such a sad but special time. I am sorry I missed your call - I didn't get it until Saturday night.
YOu are the best.

Emily Redd said...

Brooke, this is so AMAZING!! I didn't know about this organization...thank you so much for sharing. I am going to look into it also. I think the pics on their website are amazing and precious. What a wonderful donation. Your post made me cry because...simply I just can't have children and I can't imagine the joy of finding out you are having one and then losing it. It breaks me just to think about it. I am going to look into joining the photographers. It sounds amazing, I just don't know if I could hold myself together which is what they really need you to do, ya know. It sounds like you did a great job! How are you guys doing and holding up? You have been in our thoughts and in our prayers a lot. We love you tons and I hope you know that! All my LOVE XOXOXOX

jayni & ben said...

I want to be just like you. I think you are so stinking cute. I love the way you write and the pictures you take. That is amazing you got to do that. I don't know if I could?! I would be too nervous. anyway.. you are amazing in every way!!

Debbie said...

Brooke....that is an amazing post. It made me teary! What a great service you can provide...WOW! I am so impressed and loved reading your thoughts. Love you guys! Debbie in Arizona

georgeandmarie said...

This is such a great organization! That is such an amazing opportunity! Thanks for sharing!!

Rachel said...

Brooke,

I just came accross your blog. I am a friend of Kennans. I loved this post. I am so impressed. My throat is choking cause I am trying so hard not to cry :). I am glad there are people like you.
** p.s. I would love you to take my families pics. Let me know if that is possible. I would love that.

Kaylie said...

Brooke,
I hope you don't mind but I came across your blog a while ago and love looking at it every once in a while because you are an AMAZING photographer and for entries like this. You are a great writer too. I was tearing up reading this. I have a little 4 month old and couldn't imagine life without her and I feel for those who have lost their child so early. You are so great to be giving of your time and talents to Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep which is such a wonderful organization. Thank you for sharing this experience!

Wade and Cami White said...

Oh Brooke of course you told me all about your experience with this precious baby girl. But your words that you wrote here are true poetry. You are amazing you really really are. You've got a heart of gold. You know I cry every day over my own losses and heartache, and yes I feel very selfish. But it was nice to get a good cry from your amazing words and hurt for someone else instead of myself. You have a wonderful gift and too be able to give back to these families and these mothers is amazing. I know i could not do it. Your an angel on earth and I love you!