Thursday, April 15, 2010

defeated

scratch that last post.

minie is not doing well with this whole potty training business. the back of the book had a whole chapter on stubborness.. i just skimmed through it not really thinking it to be a hurdle.

well, suprise, suprise...
it is.

minie woke up this morning with nothing but hatred for her once beloved pink throne. she refused to even talk about it, much less sit on it. today she held her bladder for over 8 hours just to avoid going.. and then hid and peeped in my sisters yard. all of the sudden requests for her bink and bottle are being made (which we've been rid of for month or so now), and she has been asking for her diapers. when i told her she wasn't a big girl if she wore them, still just a baby.. she said " yea.. minie moo a baby" with pride. probably adding hurt to it all was our decision to head down to st.george for an early weekend. i feel like the worlds worst parent. no two ways around it. she and i are both getting angry with eachother, and why? why am i fighting with my 2 year old? it makes her cry, like break her heart cry when i pester her to go. is it worth it? when her cousin gwyn asked her to go today, she simply replied "nooo... i tired of the potty gwynnie!"
*sigh....

guess we're still not ready. the key word being WE.
i'm not ready to fight her like this. it is not worth it. i will change that baby bum of hers until she feels brave enough to do it herself.

so maybe just save that last post for another time?? perhaps next month.. or the next?

i don't know.

and please.. for the record, snide, judgemental "annonymous" comments aren't really appreciated. and definetly are not saving any friendship. if you can't say it to my face in a tactful way..there isn't any sort of the relationship on the line. period.


adventures of the toilet
m0m vs. minie
0-1

10 comments:

Amy said...

You want to know the biggest thing I learned when potty training Zack? i COULD NOT force him to do anything. If he wasn't on board it wasn't happening. It took him 9 months to be doing ALL his business on the potty. But they get there...in their own time & way.

don't stress.

Pam said...

Love that girl! She may just need to think it's her OWN idea...sound like anyone you know? She's proven she has the skills, when she is on board it will happen with ease. You are NOT a bad Mom, just have a strong willed little red-head. If you learn to choose your battles at this age, your life will be SOOOOO much less stressful. Love you both! XOXOXO

farmgirl said...

Potty training. Not my favorite thing. Put my mothering skills through the ringer!
Just shelve it for a while. Try again later, NO BIG DEAL. For you. Or Minnie. She'll get it. Until then, don't let it getcha down.
Your good enough, your smart enough, and dog-gone-it..people like you!

jane mckinlay cluff said...

Oh my laws I am sorry to say this, but I love that someone else is going through the samething right now, and to read it really saved my sanity. I am doing this samething and when I say sis no more fancy nancy panties she could care less and makes her sweet little "I really don't care" face. I wish sis would care just a little. My sister-in-law told me not to force it one day they will just wake up ready. so I put it on hold and let things get back to normal, when one moring about two weeks later she asked for her panties and it was easy sailing from there. So after that novel, what I want to say is good luck and thank you for posting beacause it was nice to read that other moms have the same trouble and that you are not a bad mom for the tiffs with your two year old. thanks

Allison Slater Tate said...

Yep, there are a few truths in motherhood: you can't control when or where they potty. You can't MAKE them sleep. You can't MAKE them eat. Once you accept that, it gets a bit easier.

I have never PT'ed a child younger than 3, and my firstborn? i pretty much resigned myself to the fact that he would likely wear diapers to college. He trained at 42 months. FORTY-TWO MONTHS! He had been peeing and pooing in the potty forever before that, but he didn't want to commit to ALL the time. Informed me he would rather I just continue to change his diapers.

Just wait. She'll come around. Better to wait than to have lots of fights and accidents and tussles. It ain't worth it. Diapers are highly underrated. Wait until you find yourself in every single public restroom and you'll see the beauty in them! LOL!

Unknown said...

She will get there in time - BELIEVE ME - I have been through it 3 times!:) She will one morning wake up and ASK to use it - I PROMISE!!!!

Leslie said...

I feel your pain. We're resigned to potty training the "old fashioned" way, which entails lots of practice, lots of accidents, and lots of laundry. It's what Ben's pedi recommended and at this point I've given up on potty training in a matter of hours and we're working on trying to make sure Ben feels good about his successes and knows we love him when he has accidents (and there are lots of accidents). I know he's not going to be potty trained overnight, but I've quit beating myself up over it and he'll get there in his own time, and Minie will too. Good luck.

P.S. I may have also taken the potty in the front yard and let my toddler run around in his underwear and pee in the grass so I could take a break from mopping my floors. A little W.T., but I've decided potty training in the summer is the way to go.

THE BANGARTS said...

I just potty trained my two year old also.

BTW, I've made comments on your blog before. I'm Kennan's husbands cousins wifes sister. Wow. Did you get all that? I think you and your sister a hilarious and you and I actually have girls almost exactly the same age. My oldest will be 3 in May.

Anyway, like I said I just potty trained her this last month using this method. www.3daypottytraining.com.

I promise you it works. Sure she's had just a couple accidents, but we are going on almost 4 weeks and she is doing great! She had lost interest in her big girl panties, was crying for diapers, bribes didn't work anymore...I was at the end of my rope and we were so frustrated with each other. Much like you, it sounds like. But then I read this ebook and it really worked. It also has a mentoring option to write in and ask the author specific questions during the process.

That is the only help I can offer, but let me know what you think of it.

Are you ok with me commenting on your blog? :)

Valerie said...

I also tried that book, and it is not for all children! Don't worry. Jack still doesn't go all by himself. We're just now getting him to hold it down himself most times. *sigh* I'm so excited to train Sophie! No worrying about spraying everywhere and holding it down just right. Good luck! : )

Tyler and Sheena said...

You are doing the right thing. She will be ready when she is ready.