Tuesday, April 13, 2010

training day


no.. i'm not talking about your favorite Denzel thriller.


although i do promise you what i mean is just as tense, and much more traumatic.
potty training day.
i have dreaded the day from the moment i concieved minie.
i watched my sisters struggle through wet beds, and poopy undies.. and i just knew i wasn't cut out for it.
it just stresses me out. what can i say?
but lo and behold, minie actually sporadically started taking herself to the toilet to do her privy business and i just knew i could put it off any longer.
that and the smallish fact that preschool won't be happening this fall if we don't have a good handle on it by then.

it was time.
do you want to know the best part of being the youngest in a family?
everyone else gets to all of the hard stuff before you.
thank everything holy that robyn and kennan have had toddlers pave the way.
my prep took all of a quick phone call to the sisters, and they led me right where i needed to be.

toilet training in less than a day.

sounds daunting, right??
it was.. it is.
but we did it.


i've been buying our potty loot for a couple of weeks now, so when this morning rolled around we were more than ready to get things started.
we spent the better part of the morning chugging all manner of liquids, munching popcorn and cheetos, and playing dolls.
pretty sure minie wants to train all day, every day.
my mom took poptart for the day, so it was just me and my mins. one on one.
at first it felt novel..
but by lunch she was missing her favorite shadow, and grew tired of mom. apparently the feeling was mutal on the other end as well :) .
that bit made my heart swoon a little,
but that's besides the point...


success took time.
she did make it to the potty, but only to just walk away and piddle all over the floor 5 steps away.
it was frustrating. by nap time i was ready to throw in the towel. i called my mom and sisters and told them they were crazy, and that i didn't believe them that it worked.
i was convinced they had just forgotten...

but alas,
minie woke up with dry pants and exictment to try her new-found skill. she went right to the potty, lowered her pants and hasn't looked back since. she had zero accidents this afternoon/evening, and seems to know when she needs to go.


all day she was awarded gifts and munchies.. every time she was praised she asked me to take her picture.. and every time i obliged. this one day she got whatever she asked just as long as she kept her wee in the toilet.


by far her favorite task all day has been training her new dolly.
doll training was only supposed to last the first hour or so of the day, but minie's baby kept going all day long. and i believe that more than anything helped her the most. if dolly went ( and how special she could go every time :)...) minie went.

how they come up with such things i do not know..
i'm just glad they did and i could follow.


although i'm not so niave as to believe we are out of the woods yet,
i feel a world of relief. and a lot proud.
this day is over with.. my girl is succeeding..
and i adore her to the end of time.

this business kicks my butt...
pray tomorrow morning she still remembers.

and now i'm off to watch some gLee...
good night.

xoxo,

brooke

18 comments:

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Wahoo Minie Moo! We are so proud of you. You are truly a big girl now. I love how much they change once they are potty trained, such a self esteem builder. I love Toilet training in less than a day.
It has worked on ALL of my kids.

Nate and Paige said...

whoot whoot for big girl pants! way to go mins!

Leslie said...

Yeah for Minie! Hopefully Ben will be inspired by her success. Sadly, Ben was so turned off by the experience of potty training in a day that I'm afraid I did more harm than good. We're back to the drawing board for a technique that will work for him. Although, for now I think we both need a little break. I think giving birth to him may have been easier than trying to potty train him. He's a stubborn child.

Alice said...

Great blog Brooke. The picture of Minie on the potty is worth a million bucks! She will not like it when she get older, but it says it all! I have a special present for her to take to St George as a Brama Congratulations!

Pam said...

Adorable post...love that girl beyond words. I never doubted she would get it...such a smarty pants!And my day with PopTart was priceless. Congratulations to both Mommy and Minie! Poppy will be a breeze. XOXOXO

TMI said...

WHY do moms post pics of their kids on the toilet? How embarassing for the child. not to mention does anyone really want to see pics of anyone or thing on a toilet. Yuck!

Pam said...

TMI...kind of like TV. If you don't like it, change the channel and quit blurking!!

tiff and chris johnson said...

haha i love funny people who write comments on people's blogs they don't even know-i love it brooklyn. You better believe there were pictures on the potty!! That's what we girls do best! Photo every special moment in time ;-) so proud of miss mins. Seems like we should catch up when I'm in Utah. xoxo

kennan said...

"or thing"'?

more pics of miss mins on the ivory throne if you ask me!

Bob said...

Even Sue is proud of Minnie... You Vogue the throne Minnie

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

Go Minie!! I think I need this book. Potty training Dmitri = 7 accidents on the floor in a matter of 2 hours. I'm about to strap him to the toilet.

TMI said...

What makes you think i am not a friend of Brooke who decided to stay annonymous as to not ruin our friendship? Just think how Minie will feel in about 10-16yrs when friends/boyfriends want to see pics of her. Would you want your husband to see a pic of you on o toilet. Potties are private and should stay that way.

Pam said...

Too funny...I think this is PERFECT wedding video fodder! To know Minie and Brooke is to L-O-V-E every documented photo. And knowing Minie, she will giggle her little head off.

Codi said...

Yes I still spy on your blog.

Yes I'll be calling you soon to set up a Lucy photo shoot.

Yes you've inspired me to stay home for a day and try this potty training method Kennan's been telling me about.


We start tomorrow - here's to hoping we have as much success as you and your Minie!

Kami Satterlee said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that TMI should get together and go bowling with my Anonymous friend who hated that I plastered my daughters butt when I did my belly cast.haha. Hooray for butts and potties. And as for the whole "Would you want your husband to see a pic of you like this" You're damn right I would!! It's a little different when you're 2 years old crazy "friend" of Brooks.haha

Bean There...Done That said...

Umm...pretty sure Minie needs to be the new cover girl on the famous potty training book that has sold over 2 million copies!!!!!

"TMI" must stand for Too Much Ignorance. Oh, I think you must have been making reference to Minie's baby on the potty when you said "or thing". Like I said, TOO MUCH IGNORANCE!

Thanks for keeping it real Brooke.

Allie

Eileen said...

If I am ever feeling blue, I just need to look at your blog, bring a smile to my face!!

Stacey Sargent said...

OKay... who the EFF is TMI? You're obviously not a good friend of Brooke's or you would never have said that or took the time to make an account. Lame-o!!!
You should keep your thoughts private and you should stay that way!

Keep 'em coming brooke, potty pics and all!