Saturday, January 24, 2009

Man Cold vs. Pneumonia


**WARNING**...
great wife alert
.
So.... Dustin has been home sick all week, and after I was positive he just had a bad case of this, he was admitted to the hospital Friday. eek. I know!
All week long I have been border-line irriatated with him mopping around, and thought he was being slightly dramatic when he drove himself to the ER Monday night. IN MY DEFENSE, they just sent him home with a diagnosis of a cold, and gave him what I considered pity antibiotic. I mean, since when did they start treating a simple cold with a z-pack?? Anyway...a second trip to the ER on Tuesday produced a diagnosis of Atypical Pneumonia and I started sympathizing for him a tad bit more.. just a tad though. I pretty much left him alone to sleep all week, but Friday morning when he was still feeling terrible with some seriously labored breathing, I made him go see my doctor. The doc re-confirmed the pneumonia diagnosis, and was about to send him packin', when he decided to check his blood oxygen level just in case. TURNS OUT, Dust was barley oygenating.. his level was at 82, and boy, how Doctor Pneumonia's demeanor changed (and mine mind you). Within 30 minutes Dustin was arranged for admittion, and by the time we got to the hospital his oxygen was down to 75.
Yuck... the whole experience has been terrible. They admitted him to the most inconvienently located hospital ever, making my juggle between staying with him while also caring for our children nearly impossible. There was NO WAY I was going to bring my 2 month old to a hospital floor housing all manner of illness.. and the fact that I am her sole source nourishment left me leaving Dust alone the majority of his stay :(.
Luckily he only spent about 24 hours there, and after some IV antibiotics and 12 hours on oxygen he is now home feeling much better.
So that's that.
FUN.
.
and now here I am, justifiably so, stroking his forehead and telling him,
"Poor little bunny..."
.
Thank goodness it's the end of this week

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey Brooke...so sorry to hear. What a nightmare. Wish we lived closer so I could help you with your cute girlies. We'll keep you {and Dustin, of course} in our prayers.

Darcie said...

Oh, I heard Dustin had pnemonia, but I hadn't heard about the hospital! Ugh! I'm so sorry, but definitely glad he's feeling better. we miss you at work Dust.