Friday, November 30, 2007

sadbye

today we have to say goodbye to our baby. i hate that the word good is in there, because there really is nothing good about this. we never got to say hello, or i love you, or you're beautiful, or i will never, ever stop loving you baby! this baby has already left though.. and i didn't even know it. i feel sad, and scared, and so guilty.

we went to our first "official" doctors appointment yesterday. i had been to my doctor before during this pregnancy, and had a ultrasound already, but this was the first one. you know, the one where they are all happy for you (even if you did just have a baby 5 months ago), and they give you that bag full of goodies, and say "Let's do another scan just to see that little baby". it was all a blur, and i'm so sad and ashamed to say i wasn't shocked when our doctor's smile dropped, and he was all of the sudden much closer to the screen, moving the probe much more vigorously at my sad, sad womb. he told us "I'm having a hard time finding this heart beat. I'm just looking for the right angle." i think dustin and i gave eachother the same look. it was all happening again. as he was moving the probe around i kept seeing glimpses of things that i hadn't seen before. our baby had a face, little arms, and little legs.. all still very rudimentary.. he still was bent over a bit. still had a little bit of a tail. still very beutiful. i then asked my doctor, "shoudln't this baby be moving around at this point?" he looked at me, sadness and recognition very apprent in his eyes, and simply just said, "Yes. Yes, it should be." he had me go for another scan in the next room over.. this other doctor had a more currnet ultrasound machine.. hopefully making it easier to confirm the worse. i left the room. left the bag full of baby and pregnancy stuff behind. we wouldn't be needing that this time.
as i got up on the other table, and lifted my shirt so this new doctor could do the scan, he looked at me very seriously and said, "You know there is a cause for concern... we are doing this because something isn't right." of couse i knew that. i feel like an old pro by this point. his scan was worse. his machine was better, and i could see all of those bean baby images much clearer.. it was so clear that our bean was gone. he just looked so sad in there.. curled up, abandoned and forgotten. my doctor then came in and tried to very graciously work out the rest of the details. he knew my history. he knew this was an unexpected pregnancy, and that i had had my doubts. he tried to tell me , "Please do not feel guilty, your fears and thoughts about this pregnancy had nothing to do with this.. these things just happen." but how can i not feel guilty?? i never really gave this baby a fair chance.

so in another couple of hours i go in for my d&c. i hate this procedure. i hate that they make me come to short stay surgery, and then wheel me very discreatly over to labor and delivery.. like this is something to hide from me, and the women there having their healthy babies. i hate leaving dustin when they wheel me to the OR, and i hate waking up not remembering much, and knowing my baby is gone. it's so empty.

i know this pregnancy was unplanned. it's true... i really didn't want another baby in june. but please, please believe me.. i wanted this baby. it was ours.. another one of our beautiful creations. i feel so sad for it. he or she was going to have the best big sister. i was finally okay with this... i was envisioning matching little red headed girls, with big bows, and big smiles. or a little blonde boy who would look like me and love his mama so much. but now he's gone.. and although i get back all those things that i thought i was losing when i found out i was pregnant, i now lose all of those extra loves, goos, smiles, and cuddles. and for that, i am heart broken over. i feel like i never gave this little one a chance. i'm so sorry baby..

so here were are. 3 out of the 4... i just keep thinking of my now 3 babies that have been lost. i just hope they are with eachother.. safe, warm, and happy. i hope they know that there mama, daddy, and sister love them so much and wish we didn't have to wait so long to be with them again. i'm going to be okay. i can do this, i have done this, and i have so much to be grateful for. i have my beautiful, precious minie to hold, and when she looks at me i know she knows these babies... i know she knows i hurt, and i know she knows she makes all this pain worth it. she makes it heal. she makes it better. she is our miracle and our blessing.

but on this day, we all have to say our sadbye.. and i think we all, even our sweet baby girl, are down and blue with that knowledge. i love you sweet little bean.. i will be there to tuck you in one day. please wait for me.

xoxo,
mommy

13 comments:

Tyler and Sheena said...

Brooke my heart breaks for you. Having been through losing a baby myself, I know there isn't really anything to say that makes you feel better right now, but I'm with you when you say that one day we will raise those babies and be with them forever.

kiley said...

Wow, Brooke I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine what you're going through. I know that one day you will raise those babies and your heart will finally be healed. There must be a reason for you and Dustin to go through these trials and one day you will have all the answers but until then stay close to Heavenly Father and I know he will bless your life.

Valerie said...

Oh, Brooke! I am so sorry! We love you and your family so much and we are here for you if you need anything!

Pam said...

Sweet, sweet, precious daughter...how dearly I love you! You are a queen among women and the Lord will bless you and comfort you through this. I'm here by your side to help you too.
XOXOX

Nelson Family said...

Brooke, I'm soo sorry. Know that we love you and your family and that we are praying for you.

The Gowdy Family said...

Brooke, you may not know me, but I was a year ahead of you in high school. I got to your blog through Tana's (my husband goes to med school with hers). I don't really know why I feel compelled to leave a comment, but I just want to tell you that I know your heartache and the guilt you are feeling right now, and I'm so sorry. My twin girls were stillborn at 5 months, almost two years ago. They would have been born only 18 months after my first daughter, and I was overwhelmed with fear and self-doubt, but I also wanted those babies so badly, and was broken when I lost them. I know it doesn't mean much right now, but it will get better, the ache will ease--slowly. You will get to see your babies again...you just have to wait longer than you thought. And meanwhile you have a lot of people praying for you.

Darcie said...

You guys have been through a roller-coaster of emotions lately. I couldn't be more sory about your little baby. I am thinking of your little family at this hard time.

Amy said...

Oh Brookie, Brookie, Brookie. I am so heartbroken for you & Dustin. Unfortunately this one seems so much worse to me than the other two (bad, I know) but I think it is because now I have Zack. With the first two loses neither you or I knew exactly how great it was on the other end. sigh. Give Minie some extra hugs from us & give one to yourself as well.

Remember how you want to be a mommy to lots & lots of babies more than anything & somehow the Lord has His hand in all of this. I hope you feel His arms around you & your family! And if there is a time you don't...call your mom!!!

Lots of love (and prayers) your way.

Flake Family said...

I cried for you when I read this! I'm so sorry what you're going through... I can't even imagine. Just know you must be a strong woman or you wouldn't be given these trials! Good luck and know that so many people love you guys!

bkjones said...

Brooke-This is katie (olsen) jones I just wanted to let you know that you are amazing at how you can handle these trials in your life. As I was sitting here feeling bad for myself and my own struggles to have kids when Jessica Flake showed me your blog. My heart goes out to you and your family! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and setting such an example of faith for so many, even me to follow. Your and your family are in my prayers.

lynn said...

i am so sorry brooke. you guys have been through so much. keep your heads up and hopefully its all in the plan. i love you guys your the best parents ever and you will get another chance.

jayni & ben said...

Brooke,

You are so sweet and it makes me cry to read what you wrote. You are a very strong women and I know that you would have been the best mommy to that baby and you will be for the babies to come.

Emily said...

love you Brooke and Dust...you know I think you are both amazing! xoxoxo